MYC Sponsored Regattas
Interested in racing, or seeking crew? Let us know!
Below are regattas hosted by Mobile Yacht Club annually; view also the GYA sanctioned race schedule.
- Thursday Night Fun Races – These fun races are open to all sailors, they are casual (no spinnakers allowed) and there is no entry fee. This is a great time for people interested in sailing, amateurs and experienced sailors alike, to enjoy racing at a leisurely pace and watch beautiful sunsets on the bay. The race features a “Bermuda start” which is a start based on the boat’s handicap and ensures exciting finishes since all boats (theoretically) should finish at the same time! The course is approximately six miles around established channel markers. Races are held each Thursday beginning and ending with Daylight Savings Time. Weekly winners receive a prize, and at the end of the season the overall champion is announced.
- Winter Series Races – The GYA’s premier winter racing is a best-of-5 series, usually over three weekends in January and February. This Series offers some of the best competitive and challenging racing on Mobile Bay. The Series offers trophies for each race and an overall winning skipper in each fleet will have his or her name placed on the Perpetual Trophy.
- Great Circle Race 2017 – This fun race, scheduled for July 28-29, 2017, provides skippers with relief from onerous sailing instructions. They are “After the start, sail around Gaillard Island – any direction you choose – then finish.”
- Norton Brooker Broken Triangle Race – This regatta, scheduled for October 14-15, 2017, is our premier charity fundraising event. In 2006, the regatta name was changed to honor past MYC and GYA commodore, Norton Brooker, Jr. A silent auction is held the night before this regatta, which annually raises thousands of dollars.
- Round the Rig Race 2017 – This regatta, scheduled for August 5, 2017, usually beginning at 4:00 p.m. and is the only potentially overnight race on Mobile Bay. The course is simple; race from a start near Mobile Yacht Club to around the Exxon Mobile Bay #63 Natural Gas Rig, near the tip of Dauphin Island, and back.
- Mobile Yacht Club Summer Regatta – Scheduled for July 15-16, 2017, a fixture in the GYA Capdevielle series for Flying Scots. Also the venue for the Bobby Hankins Memorial Regatta for the Fish Class. View the NOR.
- Dauphin Island Race – Arguably the largest single day point to point sailing race in the U.S.A., this regatta has endured since 1957 through the continuous support of the four Mobile Bay yacht clubs that rotate as host. Annually, hundreds of boats with over a thousand crew members participate in this weekend regatta. The activities begin with a warm-up race held the Sunday before the regatta. Typically the actual race starts in the middle of Mobile Bay and finishes at Dauphin Island. The Saturday evening events feature a party on the island highlighted by the race awards ceremony. A return race on Sunday usually concludes the regatta.